Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Wedding Wednesday: Questions I Asked Our Cake Designer

Happy Wedding Wednesday!

Does anyone else feel like this week is flying by? But in a good way? :)
Today I'm going to share some questions I asked our cake designer and next week I'm going to reveal our cake/cupcake design! 

 
  • Are you available for my wedding date? A lot of the cake designers I spoke with will book up to 3 or 4 wedding cakes per Saturday. So don't fear if you have a cake designer you really want and worry they will book up!
  • How long have you been baking cakes? I guess getting someone you know that bakes delicious cakes/cupcakes doesn't really pertain to this question. But someone just starting out is kind of scary! You may think you have a wedding cake and the week of the wedding when you try to confirm and you get a voicemail - scary! But for me, cake taste is important and I want someone with experience, it may not be as important to you as it is for me. 
  • When do you actually bake the cake? How many days before the wedding? How do you keep the cake fresh? ALL very good questions - no body wants a dry cake or stale cake! 
  • Is there a delivery charge? Most places do charge a delivery charge, luckily for us it is only $25 because we're about 10 miles from her bakery. 
  • How is pricing established? Is it strictly a per slice charge, or are there extra charges for certain designs? Our cake designer is charging per slice and per cupcake (since we are having both). Also, an important question for your caterer (if that's who will be cutting the cake) how much they charge to cut each slice. I've heard some places charge up to $3 per slice to be cut on TOP of how much you're paying for the cake. Also, once I reveal our cake design, we're lucky enough for her not to charge for decorations! Some cakes can get pretty detailed! So it's understandable if the cake designer would charge extra for some designs. 
  • Is a deposit required? What are the terms? When is the final payment due? All important questions for any vendor you're booking for your wedding. I love getting receipts or contracts, it gives me peace of mind that I don't have to worry down the road if a vendor is going to bail on me. Whenever we are doing any of these things we always take money with us to put down a deposit, if you really like it you don't want to lose that person!


 
 

1 comments:

Holly said...

I still love that quilted layer! I used the idea on my Valentine magnet